improvement suggestions

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
jakerake
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

improvement suggestions

Post by jakerake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:41 am

hi, just a few improvements ideas...

1. currently whenever an engineer makes a turret, it usually falls over, would it be possible to stabilize the turret?
2. Elite Combine- instead of throwing normal grenades, they can fire antimatter grenades that are the secondary fire of their weapon. Should be more expensive than normal grenades, and have longer reload times.
3. If you hover the crosshair over an enemy unit the crosshair should change to red, so it is easier to target enemies
4. The range of fire should be within the fog of war

Thats all I could think of at the moment

Sandern
Developer

Re: improvement suggestions

Post by Sandern » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:14 pm

1. everything is possible
2. Already implemented for the next version
3. Crosshair? We got a mousecursor in a rts game I think. Also, it already changes to red currently.
4. Already implemented for the next version

jakerake
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by jakerake » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:32 pm

thank you, I picked the word crosshair since I had no idea what the word for it was :)

XxDanielxX

Post by XxDanielxX » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:36 pm

My suggestion Is for the Rebel side !

-Buildable Houses BUT ! ---> I mean Normal Houses not custom STRANGE things ^^ like a normal House in HL 2 orBarn house or smthng
-Sniper Rebel ! ---> Thats the Crossbow thing what Im talking about !
-Normal citisens !-LOL just fun to see them being Killed LOL ! :D
-Flash Light? ----> For Night Maps ... :)
-somekind of Vehicle ---(Buggy?)--Doesnt matter
-Somekind of reinforcements for The last Stand That requires MANY resources But will spawn 5 smg and 2 rocket and 1 medic Rebel !
-and the already mentioned Covers ! :)

-Thats all :) !
Redrama FtW ! L33t H4x M0nk3y ! -Ub3r P0wn1ngn3ss ! -Lufftw4ff3n- 44rrGG- I eat Disco , and Fuck EMO ! -Johnny Napalm

Sandern
Developer

Post by Sandern » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm

I'm working on some kind of cover system. When you order an unit to move to a certain location, they automatically move to the nearest cover/hiding spot within a certain radius. The cover spots are automatically generated by the navigation mesh, so it works for every map, as long as nav_generate is runned once. Here is an example of a map I'm working on: http://hl2wars.hlrse.net/images/hlw_crashed0026.jpg. A group of combines have cover spots around the rocks and will crouch when they are not shooting.

jakerake

Post by jakerake » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:52 am

just out of question, Is there a known date for the next version?

Slice

Post by Slice » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:00 pm

I have an idea when i played the combine mission on the first version it started lagging like hell becuse of all the antlion ragdolls. :| Try to fix some kind of ragdoll cleaner that removes ragdolls after a certin amount of time let's say 9 seconds so it wont lagg like a umm... headcrab does. :wink:

By the way when will the next version be realesed?

(this mod owns)

Sandern
Developer

Post by Sandern » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Don't worry about the ragdolls, it's already fixed for the next version. HL2 already appears to havea ragdoll manager. The next version will be released when it's done.

catagris

Post by catagris » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:08 am

Just like Duke Nukem forever!

;)

LnG

Post by LnG » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 am

I got one suggestion:

The stalkers should be able to repair buildings.

Neo Prophet

Post by Neo Prophet » Mon May 26, 2008 2:58 pm

im still playing on v0001 but a few things i've picked up on:

1. buildings that have multiple floors, although easy to see into because of the transparent floors, become almost imposible to navigate with troops since unless there is a bed or something there is nothing to tell them to move to

2. im guessing that by improved AI that you mentioned will be in the next release, that pathfinding is included in that, because again with buildings, they aren't the brightest bunch lol

3. as mentioned turrets love the floor, if not some sort of stabilising code, just an ability for any rebel to pick one up and put it the right way up when u right click on one

4. i havnt seen a mention of this but is featured in almost every modern RTS but shift-click waypoints and queued commands, would realy help, especialy with the pathfinding

5. im sure you guys have already thought about team balance, as lets face it combine kick ass and rebels are just a bunch of rebels, but for the sake of balance, im guessing the rebels will get the opportunity to use any of gordans vehicles and more than one at once, ontop of the fact no combine infantry have rockets or general on foot AT weapons, this should make up for the pressence of combine striders, hunters, APCs, Dropships, Gunships etc, since the rebels could get the fast but not very manouverable buggies with tau cannons, and the less quick but more manouverable (and also amphibious) airboat with heavy pulse gun. i also think the galope isnt realy suited for HL2:W since it was made by the guys at that outpost and being very scratch built (as opposed to the buggy which is very simple in design) also having no weapons or ammo storage (or a place to put the precious gnome - damn you valve!) it wouldnt realy be very usefull anyway, except as maybe a scout car, although a rather big one.

no dout once the new version with buildings and such has been release there will be more talk of balance, but i just thought id flag it up anyway.

still finding bugs on sands but none that havn't been mentioned, wouldnt mind knowing when the new version is coming out, but whenever it is im sure it will be great. many thanks

Neo Prophet

Post by Neo Prophet » Mon May 26, 2008 4:51 pm

also something else that has just occured to me:

for the multiplayer aspect of the game (a. when it comes out and b. please say there will be one!)

can there be an option to not only host normal RTS style multiplayer games/modes but also to have a drop-in-drop-out feature for the same modes, like that of World in Conflict, to explain what i mean:

when a map starts when a player joins they are presented with some starting military units and some builder units and some resorces to get going (fairly predictable stuff) but this is true for every player that joins that server.
In the event a player drops out, their units are left to AI control as neutrals (except builder units who die) but thier buildings are put in a state of limbo, they are neutral but cannot be used by anyone, untill, another player joins the game, that player then assumes control of the limbo buildings (in the event 2 players or more drop out only the most recent players buildings are accuired) and is given the usual builder units but no military units (for obvious reasons)
This will allow not only games that are public to not become unbalanced because someone had to go to dinner but also allows a player that lost connection for what ever reason to hop back into the game afterwards and resume with thier buildings (although obviously thier units will be lost to the AI)
While buildings are not present in World in Conflict, the drop-in-out feature is incredibly usefull and anyone who has played normal RTS games online will testify - losing your connection in the middle of a decent game completely ruins everything, not least because you've missed out on the game because you cant get back in, but now everyone on your team is half doomed because half their stuff has turned neutral or died.

i hope this is possible for some later release, im not expecting it any time soon lol
thanks

Neo Prophet

Post by Neo Prophet » Sat May 31, 2008 9:00 pm

as a result of me playing .0026 my updated sujestions:

further improved pathfinding (for the love of god please)

i take it since the buildings are new that i dont need to make any comments about them yet

i dont know exactly what it is about striders walking backwards while firing but on more than one occasion i have lost striders to it, not because they died but because they would start walking away and would refuse to understand any order to go anywhere but to where it spawned on sands (im guessing this is something to do with the internal NPC scripting left over from HL2 tho)

my laptop, which is lower spec than my desctop, suffers greatly from lag (and continuously flashing 'lerp') on sands, pretty soon into the mission, while i could probably fix this by turning the settings down it did open some interesting bugs boxes:
firstly no troop would except any order that didnt include a specific direction to face once it got there (the click and drag method) and would refuse full stop to travel any further than ~500m at a time, in particular the strider

on both my systems however there was a common and continuous problem that unless the click and drag for direction facing was given while on the move it would stay a normal move click, basicly moving the mouse (any direction) clicking (while dragging) and then choosing a direction, rather than the more helpful: click and not issueing any orders untill u release the button, giving you more time to think about even if u want to assign a direction at all

ignoring my 3 critical posts, i want to take a moment to reming everyone that this RTS can (hopefuly without too much grief) become the best RTS for years, because you have been given, a very good graphics engine, a near perfect cover system (because all the bullets are modeled) a fairly decent set of NPC combat scripts (because they will generaly do sensible stuff without you telling them) and a bunch of sound files.

in mentioning the sound files i would request if it is possible to increase the range at which the standard shot sfx fades into the distant sfx because it seems to work out the distance where it becomes all distant sfx it about the max zoom out of the camera, meaning you almost always only hear the distant one, while not a bad file, it just doesnt make a good fire fight sound right, since you are probably looking at it at the time.