Crab Synth

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Terminus Prime
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Crab Synth

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:30 pm

Since there appears to be a need for a plausible, fast Combine capper, I present to you the Crab Synth:

Unit: Crab Synth
Role: Light Scout/Harassment
Cost: Low
Speed: Very Fast
Armour: Very Light
Armour Class: Light Infantry
Health: Very Low
Sight Radius: Medium
Accuracy: Perfect (Melee Attack)
Weaponry: Claws, Plasma Cutters (Integrated Cutters)
DPS: Medium, High (Integrated Cutters)
Effective Against: Infantry, Vehicles (Integrated Cutters), Structures (Integrated Cutters)
Abilities:

Leap: Allows the Crab Synth to quickly leap long distances, vertically or horizontally. Units targeted with a Leap will be automatically targeted with the Shred ability upon its conclusion.
Shred: Latches onto a unit and quickly rips it to shreds. Infantry targeted in this way are disabled, and the Crab Synth may only be removed from them with external firepower.
Burrow: This unit can hide itself by burrowing into the ground. They can only be spotted by detectors, will take dramatically reduced damage while buried, and have increased regeneration.
Capture: After a delay, can capture buildings and points. The more friendly units simultaneously attempting a capture, the faster it will be achieved.
Regeneration (Passive): This unit regenerates.

Upgrades:

Det Charge: Allows the player to remotely detonate this unit. (Not sure about this)
Integrated Cutters: Equips the Crab Synth with cybernetically integrated plasma cutting tools, dramatically increasing its damage, and allowing it to breach even tanks and vehicles with ease.

Notes: A fast, cheap and versatile unit, the Crab Synth's incredible mobility, lethality and ability to hide and ambush make it an effective scout, harasser, skirmisher and capper. Its Leap ability allows it to rapidly approach enemy positions in unexpected ways, permitting this unit to bypass impassable terrain and blockades. Later, it gains additional flexibility through the use of Integrated Cutters, allowing it to effectively engage vehicles and structures, meaning the Crab Synth is potentially useful for the whole match.

jimjim
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Crab Synth

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 pm

Are you going to model this? This seems like a duplicate of the manhack except 5x better (Effective Against: Infantry, Vehicles (Integrated Cutters), Structures (Integrated Cutters) (everything)). It regenerates, it burrows, so it can burrow and regenerate while underground while the rebels scramble to get some sort of detector unit in there. Just spam Crab Synths and the game is won.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:49 pm

It's balanced by the fact that it's more costly and less durable than the manhack (probably the cheapest Combine unit), non-flying (Leap cannot be used continuously), its Integrated Cutters upgrade is costly and high-tier, and it is easily countered by just about any anti-infantry/area of effect weaponry. Perhaps the Burrow ability could be put off as a second-tier upgrade (it should only come into play when the Rebels should have access to effective detection), but the regeneration is not intended to be ludicrous, even with Burrow buffing it. Further, because these things are essentially made of paper, they're not likely to escape in order to regenerate so much as be destroyed. They are very reliant on skillful use of the Burrow/Leap abilities (and flanking) in order to be effective in combat, while manhacks are cheap and durable enough to rush enemies directly.

Also, doesn't the Crab Synth model already exist?

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:57 pm

Ah yes, you're right it does already exist. http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Crab_Synth. I wonder if the NPC would work, if it could, that would be awesome. According to the wiki, it doesn't already have AI and has no collision...

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:01 pm

Hmm, it seems as though the thing is much larger than I thought; according to the wiki entry it was meant to be used as an organic tank? Initially I remembered it as a sort of cybernetic headcrab.

HellSpawn

Post by HellSpawn » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:03 pm

if i remember correctly, Sander has already implemented the Crab Synth as a unit (albeit a prototype one).
Sander wrote:hurrah.
Half-Life 2: Wars Wiki TODO List - Stuff that needs doing on the wiki, we'd appreciate the help.

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:14 pm

He has ive seen it in action via a mutiplayer game with him. Armed with a hunters cannon and has a crap load of hp lol
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

Plazmatic

Post by Plazmatic » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:13 am

LOL i leave for a few months and i come back seeing the same threds by differant people. Nice try kid but next time use the search option, allready been suggested (oh yeah i'm dumb lololol)

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:21 am

LOL i leave for a few months and i come back seeing the same threds by differant people. Nice try kid but next time use the search option, allready been suggested (BY ME i think I was the first one to suggest it too.)
Want a cookie? Also try being more respectful in the future. The 'kid' remark was totally unnecessary, and given the juvenile content of your post, you're probably not old enough to be throwing it around in the first place.

A little maturity goes a long way.

Ennui
Contributor

Post by Ennui » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:01 am

crab synth is a big, tank-like unit, slow and lumbering, wouldn't make sense for it to be a light / fast recon unit like you propose.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:08 am

Yeah. I initially proposed it as a recon unit due to a mistaken recollection of it as a smaller, roughly headcrab sized unit.

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 pm

It could be a medium speed and armoured synth that is taken out with a few rockets. Anti-infantry still and obviously due to the already implemented cannon. They could be an expendable unit that you half swarm the enemy with other different light and a few heavy units in Blitzkrieg form tactics.
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:34 pm

Yeah, that's probably best since the Combine already has its ground tank in the form of the Strider, though I suppose the Crab Synth could work as an ultra heavy 'ultimate' final tier unit.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:53 am

Think the hunter, but bigger, more hp, and a hunter chopper gun! Maby even a grende launher upgrade? I mean regular frag grenades not mortar grenades.
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...