Manhacks

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
jimjim
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Manhacks

Post by jimjim » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 am

After messing around with Python, I created my own unit: The manhack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQJBo-8VJyY

I believe the manhack should be implemented into play. They are excellent assets to the gameplay. They are strong in numbers, but in traveling together in numbers, they are extremely suseptible to death by RPG fire or explosives. A single manhack can easily kill an RPG soldier while a large group can't. Traveling alone or in small groups they are suseptible to death by gunfire or vortigaunt fire. They can easily slip passed enemy defenses to capture points, encouraging the enemy to defend their capture point. If repeated probing of a capture point forces an enemy to place just one unit there, the area can be surprised by a large force of infantry (or other unit). If this assault fails, the enemy is forced to spread their forces out more to defend that point, and another weak spot can be attacked by a large force. If a player chooses to defend a point with a group of headcrabs, lone manhacks will have great difficulty in killing them due to manhacks' low clearance. The video shows different scenarios on the map hlw_sand and identifies some of the situations mentioned above.

Additional: If gameplay allows for, or if a map allows for ledge climbing, I was thinking of adding a special ability where the player could have the manhack pack up and unpack. Also, HellSpawn suggests that a group of manhacks be created instead of a single manhack per build. I am going to implement this.

Thoughts?

St3althPyr0_37
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Manhacks

Post by St3althPyr0_37 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:51 pm

I want to say first off that the manhack looks awesome.
I really like the idea of a manhack unit, and i agree with your points about single a groups of manhacks. Could it be possible for a unit to deploy manhacks as an ability, like the metrocop? (I know it has been suggested before) Nice work!

*As a side note, the issue with headcrabs capturing control points is unlikely in the final version, as right now there are no plans to implement a zombie/xen faction.
Heaven for the Weather
Hell for the Company

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:45 pm

Looks very nice =) it would like it in a small group of 5 becuase they can be rather usless unless in packs
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

HellSpawn

Post by HellSpawn » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 pm

MANHACKS

:P well, yes, that was a rather good video.
what i actually suggested though, is the ability to spawn multiple units with the python script, and count them as a single unit. (they travel together, etc)
Sander wrote:hurrah.
Half-Life 2: Wars Wiki TODO List - Stuff that needs doing on the wiki, we'd appreciate the help.

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:46 pm

HellSpawn wrote:MANHACKS

:P well, yes, that was a rather good video.
what i actually suggested though, is the ability to spawn multiple units with the python script, and count them as a single unit. (they travel together, etc)

Just like in C&C 3 or Lord of the rings Battle for middle earth :D a squad

Sandern
Developer

Post by Sandern » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:30 pm

NPC's will possible be deprecated as units in the future. The way the animations are controlled is not really suitable for multiplayer ( too much data traffic ).
I'm currently messing around with creating a new unit base, but that would mean each npc needs to be reimplemented.

The problem with squads is that if one unit gets stuck and the others move away then the get scattered. Because the geometry in source engine map is usually a bit more complex and unpredictable then most rts games maps the risc of getting stuck gets higher. But I could atleast add support ofcourse to select multiple npc's/units as one unit, which ain't very difficult.

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Sander are you saying you're going to change it from the massive amount of *.txt files to the python or you are going to change it from the python to something else?

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Manhacks shouldn't be capable of capturing points for obvious reasons. However, they should be able to decimate any and all infantry with cost-effective ease, while being exceedingly weak against vehicles and structures (Resistance dune buggies, maybe a fortified battle bus would be effective counters).

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:17 am

Please list your obvious reasons as they are not obvious to me.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:31 am

They're flying buzzsaws with rudimentary AI. How would they go about capturing a territory?

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:34 am

They would fly next to the resource point like all other units already do. It would certainly make for interesting gameplay. If you can lose a resource point to one manhack then I think that says something about your defenses.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:36 am

I just don't see how something like that can possibly capture territory, realistically speaking.

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 am

Realistically speaking, I don't see a resonating cascade failure happening anytime soon. Then again, this is just a game.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:39 am

Well there's suspension of disbelief. You can handwave something like a portal storm/resonance cascade failure; for all we know it might be possible. That much isn't true for a manhack as far as capturing territory is concerned. Isn't there an alternate unit that can serve as a fast, cheap capper?

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:48 am

I just think that a manhack should be able to capture points to keep an opponent on their toes, or at least divert their forces. They are airborne, stay near the ground (most of the time), and easily destroyed. A turret or two could easily hold off a manhack. I can't think of any alternative to the manhack other than the rollermine which has similar speed and perhaps the same amount of effort to create.