Thumpers

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
User avatar
Drunkenvalley
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Thumpers

Post by Drunkenvalley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Terminus Prime wrote:[...] If the mobile thumper enjoys equivalent effectiveness but is more costly than the stationary one so as to compensate for the mobility, maybe. In no case should it be more effective than the stationary structure, even at additional cost, because that simply defies logic.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, now. >_<;
Image Image

Terminus Prime
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:36 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by Terminus Prime » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:48 pm

If mobile thumper effectiveness = stationary thumper effectiveness then cost for mobile thumper should be >>> cost for stationary thumper.

Mobile thumper effectiveness should never be > than stationary thumper effectiveness.

User avatar
Drunkenvalley
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Thumpers

Post by Drunkenvalley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:53 pm

Terminus Prime wrote:If mobile thumper effectiveness = stationary thumper effectiveness then cost for mobile thumper should be >>> cost for stationary thumper.

Mobile thumper effectiveness should never be > than stationary thumper effectiveness.
As in, "While possible to just up the prices on the mobile one drastically, it's usually just about a taboo."?
Image Image

User avatar
jimjim
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by jimjim » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Thumpers work by slamming into the ground with a giant hammer, creatively enough.

So lets take a MOBILE THUMPER. It needs some sort of fuel to slam its hammer into the ground AND MOVE while the stationary thumper only needs to thump, and has doesn't need to move. All of the stationary thumper's fuel can be devoted to thumping...

Terminus Prime
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:36 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by Terminus Prime » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:58 pm

Exactly. The stationary thumper is explicitly built ONLY for thumping, and does not need to concern itself with anything else. It can be made as powerful as land and technology permit, while the mobile thumper is limited by the need to retain mobility, and related engineering considerations, so a necessary compromise between the two is struck. It's extremely unlikely for this very reason that it'd even be as effective as the stationary thumper, nevermind more effective. Even if you had more resources to expend on the mobile thumper, the mobility demands are likely establish an insurmountable performance ceiling.

User avatar
Drunkenvalley
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Thumpers

Post by Drunkenvalley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:28 pm

Speaking of which, how big radius do the thumpers in HL2 actually have in the first place?

For me, it almost looks like this: Height = Radius.

It's semi-unrelated, but I figured I'd take into account the fact that as of now the Thumpers aren't actually very effective in their stationary form either. They're very limited in radius.
Image Image

Terminus Prime
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:36 pm
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by Terminus Prime » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Yes, the radius is pretty tame. Thumpers should either have it increased or made upgradable.

Vaun
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:21 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by Vaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:05 am

Well, theres 2 (actually 3) thumper sizes, small, and large. The small has a minor radius, the large has a larger radius, and the citadel has a city sized radius. Though i say they make the radius larger, since it pretty much is as wide (radius wise) as it is tall.
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...

User avatar
SkedarE
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Australia/SA/Adelaide
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by SkedarE » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:25 am

Terminus Prime wrote:Exactly. The stationary thumper is explicitly built ONLY for thumping, and does not need to concern itself with anything else. It can be made as powerful as land and technology permit, while the mobile thumper is limited by the need to retain mobility, and related engineering considerations, so a necessary compromise between the two is struck. It's extremely unlikely for this very reason that it'd even be as effective as the stationary thumper, nevermind more effective. Even if you had more resources to expend on the mobile thumper, the mobility demands are likely establish an insurmountable performance ceiling.
Personally I'd have the mobile thumper unable to 'thump' and deter antlions. They could deploy into actual thumpers like the MCV(Mobile Construction Vehicle) from Command & Conquer. There could be a limit of three and their antlion deterrence shortened or lengthened depending on the amount of players, size of map and amount and abundance of antlions. Whether you build them, have them at all or they just are given in single player campaign missions is beyond me right now.
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

User avatar
Drunkenvalley
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Thumpers

Post by Drunkenvalley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:26 pm

SkedarE wrote:
Terminus Prime wrote:Exactly. The stationary thumper is explicitly built ONLY for thumping, and does not need to concern itself with anything else. It can be made as powerful as land and technology permit, while the mobile thumper is limited by the need to retain mobility, and related engineering considerations, so a necessary compromise between the two is struck. It's extremely unlikely for this very reason that it'd even be as effective as the stationary thumper, nevermind more effective. Even if you had more resources to expend on the mobile thumper, the mobility demands are likely establish an insurmountable performance ceiling.
Personally I'd have the mobile thumper unable to 'thump' and deter antlions. They could deploy into actual thumpers like the MCV(Mobile Construction Vehicle) from Command & Conquer. There could be a limit of three and their antlion deterrence shortened or lengthened depending on the amount of players, size of map and amount and abundance of antlions. Whether you build them, have them at all or they just are given in single player campaign missions is beyond me right now.
I think a factor would be environment. I believe antlions prefer the more coastal regions.
Image Image

User avatar
BiotecVirus
Contributor
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: England
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by BiotecVirus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:18 pm

Antlions are pretty much everywhere not just at coast. In episode 2 you fight them very inland in a mining facility.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

User avatar
Drunkenvalley
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:23 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Thumpers

Post by Drunkenvalley » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:26 pm

BiotecVirus wrote:Antlions are pretty much everywhere not just at coast. In episode 2 you fight them very inland in a mining facility.
I said 'prefer.'
Image Image

User avatar
jimjim
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:26 am
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by jimjim » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:47 pm

They prefer regions where the ground is soft or where pre-existing tunnels have already been dug out.

User avatar
Ennui
Contributor
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:30 am
Location: North Carolina
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by Ennui » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:42 am

What jimjim said. The water doesn't have anything to do with it, just the sand.

User avatar
SkedarE
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Australia/SA/Adelaide
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thumpers

Post by SkedarE » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:01 am

Antlions drown really easily in water. They would not want to settle in a place because it is close to a death-trap to them.
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Post Reply
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests