Suggestions: Structures

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
Drunkenvalley

Suggestions: Structures

Post by Drunkenvalley » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Basically, throwing in all suggestions for structures for either team.

Headquarters:
For the Combine this would most likely be fairly similar to the Citadel, albeit slightly smaller most notably.
In crude terms it would most probably look like a crystal. That is, crystals of the type you usually see in games and such. Albeit pitch black.

But for Rebels it would be slightly different. But should be kept simple. Maybe something that looks like a large mashup of car wrecks (with practical value) surrounding & covering a train-station entrance (or other "up-from-ground" looks). I'm honestly conflicted about the whole thing there. Perhaps the remains of a structure.

Go on, share whatever you've got, too.
Image Image

Jazz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Suggestions: Structures

Post by Jazz » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:32 pm

I had a idea for defensive walls, in case of the combine we could youse the wall from theyre defesive line seen in the begining of hl2 (the ones that cover all the roudes exept the one you should go on) and further on in all the episodes in the street fights but only the wall not the all of it and for the doors we could youse the defensive it self and platform to shoot from (think it has a gun on it aswell)

my second idea whas that we could have it has a upgrade for the func_tank (thats whats its called right) so for example at last tech level (or second to last) these defensives could be available for construction.

for rebels im still thinking of a more advance wall or defensive :?
What do you think guys?

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:54 pm

Jazz wrote:I had a idea for defensive walls, in case of the combine we could youse the wall from theyre defesive line seen in the begining of hl2 (the ones that cover all the roudes exept the one you should go on) and further on in all the episodes in the street fights but only the wall not the all of it and for the doors we could youse the defensive it self and platform to shoot from (think it has a gun on it aswell)

my second idea whas that we could have it has a upgrade for the func_tank (thats whats its called right) so for example at last tech level (or second to last) these defensives could be available for construction.

What do you think guys?
I believe that the walls, doors and things should be something that's made available, but not by default available in-game. (Ie special structures, or structure tiers that are literally impossible to reach without hacking if the map maker hasn't specifically allowed it.)
Image Image

Jazz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jazz » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Drunkenvalley wrote:
Jazz wrote:I had a idea for defensive walls, in case of the combine we could youse the wall from theyre defesive line seen in the begining of hl2 (the ones that cover all the roudes exept the one you should go on) and further on in all the episodes in the street fights but only the wall not the all of it and for the doors we could youse the defensive it self and platform to shoot from (think it has a gun on it aswell)

What do you think guys?
I believe that the walls, doors and things should be something that's made available, but not by default available in-game. (Ie special structures, or structure tiers that are literally impossible to reach without hacking if the map maker hasn't specifically allowed it.)
i ment to apply the same things that they apply to the normal buildings,meaning that they can be destroyed by normal guns just like the func_tank (wich cannon be NORMALLY destroyed) so RPG units can destroy those defensives.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:39 pm

That's not what I meant. What I meant was that this is something that should be available as an ability of its own or a "tier", both of which are by default unavailable, but which can be set on by mapmakers.

Why? Because defenses create turtles, whereas the entire Half Life world has depended a lot on rushed attacks at every possible spot.

Thus, I believe that it should be a tool available to map-makers, if for instance the map is of epic dimensions and are almost literally a few cities away.

If anything, defenses should be limited to certain areas around bases, to prevent random defense building around the map.
Image Image

Jenks

Post by Jenks » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55 am

Drunkenvalley wrote:That's not what I meant. What I meant was that this is something that should be available as an ability of its own or a "tier", both of which are by default unavailable, but which can be set on by mapmakers.

Why? Because defenses create turtles, whereas the entire Half Life world has depended a lot on rushed attacks at every possible spot.

Thus, I believe that it should be a tool available to map-makers, if for instance the map is of epic dimensions and are almost literally a few cities away.

If anything, defenses should be limited to certain areas around bases, to prevent random defense building around the map.
Like BFME2, exactly!
HL2Wars: Revolution 1.0 LATEST/ALL PATCHES:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8WABW4W

HL2Wars: Revolution Thread:

http://www.hl2wars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=766

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:28 pm

I don't see a problem with walls and other defensive structures if the game revolves around territory control, which means the aggressive player will have access to more resources, and features siege units to counter turtling strategies.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:55 pm

Terminus Prime wrote:I don't see a problem with walls and other defensive structures if the game revolves around territory control, which means the aggressive player will have access to more resources, and features siege units to counter turtling strategies.
In a way, I suppose this is true. It might just be me, but I usually dislike the whole 'wall' thing because then it's more a SIM than an RTS, oftentimes.

Also, with SkedarE's note of the rather small scale, I'd like to point out walls would most likely slow the game down. As it stands, Half Life 2: Wars also doesn't even feature any viable siege units yet.
Image Image

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:53 pm

Siege solutions:

Combine:

Mortar synths.
Suppression cannon (possibly).
Headcrab Rockets.

Rebel:

Mortars.
Conventional rockets.
Artillery?

All of these are totally viable sieging possibilities for both sides.

Secondly, as I have mentioned before elsewhere, the final scale of HL2 Wars is not yet defined.

Lastly walls/barricades have a perfectly legitimate strategic role, and turtling is a perfectly acceptable strategy as long as counters/weaknesses for it exist, and they certainly will (the territory control element being an indisputable and inherent one). The possibility that something might 'slow down the game' isn't really a legitimate argument unless it is to an extreme that invariably undermines balance, gameplay depth and enjoyment.

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:21 pm

Turtling is the path to defeat, so if it means I'll win more against people who turtle then I say +1 to putting walls in.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Terminus Prime wrote:Siege solutions:

Combine:

Mortar synths.
Suppression cannon (possibly).
Headcrab Rockets.

Rebel:

Mortars.
Conventional rockets.
Artillery?

All of these are totally viable sieging possibilities for both sides.

Secondly, as I have mentioned before elsewhere, the final scale of HL2 Wars is not yet defined.

Lastly walls/barricades have a perfectly legitimate strategic role, and turtling is a perfectly acceptable strategy as long as counters/weaknesses for it exist, and they certainly will (the territory control element being an indisputable and inherent one). The possibility that something might 'slow down the game' isn't really a legitimate argument unless it is to an extreme that invariably undermines balance, gameplay depth and enjoyment.
Do you work as a politician by chance?

Not to be rude, but you always seem to construct your posts in manners that make them so "official" and "fact".

It generally makes arguing difficulty because it's often hard to quite hands-on grasp a complete feel of what you're saying. Not to mention, you usually post quantities without dropping quality, in manners that make my head explode mainly due to an overload of incoming information.
Image Image

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:27 pm

Do you work as a politician by chance?
It's been recommended to me as a career, but I chose finance instead.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:51 am

Turtling IS a way to lose fast, try it in Empires mod. Artillary will fall like rain, but the flying corpses are oddly... comedic. But if you're losing and have an exit strategy or are researching something important or expensive, it may just let you get it. On the down side, you're not getting resource points if you're turtling.

Walls, however, aren't just for turtling, theyre a way to deny access to "soft spots" to the base, as well as directly defend main entrances and resource points.
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:06 am

Yep. Walls are primarily used by good players to fortify areas vulnerable to harassment and microed precision strikes on key targets, not turtling.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:10 am

Exactly. As they say in Empires "Turtles Suck!". And every time we tried to turtle, we failed miserably. (I was always on the black uniformed team, no wonder i kept loosing)
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...