Combine Organization

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
B.o.K
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Combine Organization

Post by B.o.K » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:22 pm

Perhaps a headshelling Artillery option would be nice, although creating zombies/zombines would be tricky.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:27 pm

Jenks wrote:
SkedarE wrote:To extend on that, if a sniper and double pistols are added to an assassins role, then maybe the switching between weapons could take place using the ability icon in the HUD(i.e the grenade button). Also, should the assassins anti fog of war radius be increases when switching to sniper?
Definetely, Assassins need to be a slower, but tougher Unit.

Here is a video of a few in action in the HL2 Beta, as well ass other creatures that might be implementable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnKPAL0 ... re=related
Assassins do not need to be slower or tougher. Rather, Assassins should work as low-health but expensive multitaskers, bearing mainly three weapons by standard: The sniper, a pistol and a knife.

Respectively, she would use the sniper when outside of pistol or knife range, but within line of sight.

To go sniper, however, she would first have to position herself appropriately, assemble the sniper, load it & aim it. (Ca 8-10 seconds?) In return for this long load, she has a powerful long-range weapon, although there's a 2-3 second reload, even more for a new clip if that's necessary. Her line of sight is also extended slightly once she's positioned and aiming. Another drawback, however, is that she's relatively slow at turning to follow the enemy with her scope, and accuracy drops slightly if attempting to take down moving targets, as the projectile is relatively slow.

There are three ways to leave sniper: Die, pack the sniper or throw it away (which naturally means that if used, the Assassin can no longer use Sniper).

If moving, but outside melee range, the pistol would be used. Dual pistols are arguable, but at least one. Mainly, this would be to keep off enemies rather than facing them head-on, as the damage is very minimal, mainly due to the bad accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

Finally, there's the knife. It's slightly more accurate than the pistol for obvious reasons. The attacks are also faster.

I'd say the Assassin is restricted in behavior: By default, she doesn't fire her sniper unless ordered to, both to ensure she requires your attention more, and to let your Assassins work in team to net in and take down several targets when they're trapped.

NOTE: Obviously, this is more a "You Wish" thing, I know.
Image Image

Jenks
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Jenks » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:07 pm

Drunkenvalley wrote:
Jenks wrote:
SkedarE wrote:To extend on that, if a sniper and double pistols are added to an assassins role, then maybe the switching between weapons could take place using the ability icon in the HUD(i.e the grenade button). Also, should the assassins anti fog of war radius be increases when switching to sniper?
Definetely, Assassins need to be a slower, but tougher Unit.

Here is a video of a few in action in the HL2 Beta, as well ass other creatures that might be implementable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpnKPAL0 ... re=related
Assassins do not need to be slower or tougher. Rather, Assassins should work as low-health but expensive multitaskers, bearing mainly three weapons by standard: The sniper, a pistol and a knife.

Respectively, she would use the sniper when outside of pistol or knife range, but within line of sight.

To go sniper, however, she would first have to position herself appropriately, assemble the sniper, load it & aim it. (Ca 8-10 seconds?) In return for this long load, she has a powerful long-range weapon, although there's a 2-3 second reload, even more for a new clip if that's necessary. Her line of sight is also extended slightly once she's positioned and aiming. Another drawback, however, is that she's relatively slow at turning to follow the enemy with her scope, and accuracy drops slightly if attempting to take down moving targets, as the projectile is relatively slow.

There are three ways to leave sniper: Die, pack the sniper or throw it away (which naturally means that if used, the Assassin can no longer use Sniper).

If moving, but outside melee range, the pistol would be used. Dual pistols are arguable, but at least one. Mainly, this would be to keep off enemies rather than facing them head-on, as the damage is very minimal, mainly due to the bad accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

Finally, there's the knife. It's slightly more accurate than the pistol for obvious reasons. The attacks are also faster.

I'd say the Assassin is restricted in behavior: By default, she doesn't fire her sniper unless ordered to, both to ensure she requires your attention more, and to let your Assassins work in team to net in and take down several targets when they're trapped.

NOTE: Obviously, this is more a "You Wish" thing, I know.
Awesome idea...better than mine!
HL2Wars: Revolution 1.0 LATEST/ALL PATCHES:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K8WABW4W

HL2Wars: Revolution Thread:

http://www.hl2wars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=766

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:45 am

OK, based on examining an actual beta assassin, heres the stats:

Speed: fast

Hp: so-so

Armament: dual USP Match pistols (they're made to the model's hands)

Accuracy: on par with elites

If you want a combine heavy, remake the combine Guard with his mini-singularity gun.
Anyway, adding a beta, unmounted sniper rifle would work, based on concept art of an assassin with some sort of cut down scoped weapon. DO NOT confuse the beta rifle with the hl2 mounted rifle.

Go play MI or OC to see the beta rifle out.
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:59 am

Sounds great, but with Drunken Valley's idea on dropping the sniper entirely, I am not so sure whether it would work or fits the game. A bit too complicated or too tedious to program as to adding a standard ability with models and actions from other mods. I haven't seen double USP pistols though.
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:42 am

SkedarE wrote:Sounds great, but with Drunken Valley's idea on dropping the sniper entirely [...]
Oi, don't put words in my mouth.
Image Image

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:43 am

Drunkenvalley wrote: There are three ways to leave sniper: Die, pack the sniper or throw it away (which naturally means that if used, the Assassin can no longer use Sniper).
?
EDIT : Sorry! My wording might seem to suggest I thought you were dropping the idea and not the actual weapon.
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:48 am

Go download missing information mod, then go into console and type

npc_create npc_assassin

Jenks

Post by Jenks » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:39 am

Vaun wrote:Go download missing information mod, then go into console and type

npc_create npc_assassin
I might just do it, I need to test this shit out for myself.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:13 am

So howd it work out? notice the dual USPs (that they clench even in death).

Jenks

Post by Jenks » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:13 pm

I downloaded Missing Information Mod and tried it. It is freakin awesome, and Stalkers could even be addable.

The Combine Assassins only work good in certain areas, and the Missing Info Mod is missing some maps such as Terminal and the old Coast.

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:08 am

Take into account that this is the future with futuristic weapons and a futuristic alien race that the assassins are working with. With their athletic, futuristic, and combine cyborg abilities the sniper rifle would take a lot less than 8-10 seconds to assemble and shoot. It would more realistically be more pump action if Valve developed it.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:43 am

SkedarE wrote:Take into account that this is the future with futuristic weapons and a futuristic alien race that the assassins are working with. With their athletic, futuristic, and combine cyborg abilities the sniper rifle would take a lot less than 8-10 seconds to assemble and shoot. It would more realistically be more pump action if Valve developed it.
If we were to be hyper-realistic, yes. c.c;

For practical purposes, though, I think it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Besides, I believe most rifles take a lot longer to assemble by default, although this probably varies depending on the rifle itself.

The point would be to get the Assassin/Sniper into a position that's actually practical for sniping, rather than them just pulling up a rifle when not at point-blank distance and headshotting the target instantly.
Image Image

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Turrets, mines (and even manhacks) should be purchasable 'upgrades' for Combine infantry units that can be acquired when they're within close range of the Combine barracks/armoury. Once bought, they can place these as desired until running out.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:50 am

(terminus) Agreed

(jenks) They were still working on the mod but valve ordered them to stop.