Commandos

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
johnswasted
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Commandos

Post by johnswasted » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:33 pm

I was wondering if the game was going to have a commando on each team. If so, can Freeman be one?

scrub
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Commandos

Post by scrub » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:36 pm

johnswasted wrote:I was wondering if the game was going to have a commando on each team. If so, can Freeman be one?
Units are still being suggested for both sides, so it is possible that each team will have commandos. However, Freeman or any "hero" type unit will unlikely be implemented in the game, because if they were to die, then they wouldn't be able to come back, etc, etc.

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:52 pm

DO, NOT, SUGGEST, FREEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.hl2wars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=278
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

scrub

Post by scrub » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:53 pm

BiotecVirus wrote:DO, NOT, SUGGEST, FREEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.hl2wars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=278
*Cringes in fear*

Anti Viper
Contributor

Post by Anti Viper » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:07 pm

johnswasted wrote:I was wondering if the game was going to have a commando on each team. If so, can Freeman be one?

FAIL! No unit can beat Freeman?

seantheman

Post by seantheman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:45 pm

Anti Viper wrote:

FAIL! No unit can beat Freeman?
let the combine have large cliffs as a hero. If freeman falls off he will die, that seemed to happen to me alot when playing through hl2. :D

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:26 pm

Combine guards and combine assasins (female elites, not alien assassins), the cquard gun will rape your very soul if you arent in an hev suit, and the assassin will just maim you with kung fu.
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:31 am

Vaun wrote:Combine guards and combine assasins (female elites, not alien assassins), the cquard gun will rape your very soul if you arent in an hev suit, and the assassin will just maim you with kung fu.
I agree and anything is better than having characters from the game (Gorden Freeman, Barney, Alyx) as these commandos. Besides, how would you make the combine version of these as iconic. I am pretty sure that, when people get round to it, assassins are a go except that the cguard may look like a quake wars strog instead of a combine fighting mechanism.
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah, Freeman couldn't exist not because he's irreplaceable, but because he'd be the ultimate unit and singlehandedly pwn everything lol.

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:28 am

I don't see what's wrong with using HL2 storyline characters as commandos. In regards to the post where Freeman can essentially destroy every single obstacle in his path, well, that's only too true (lol). Perhaps the MAIN characters is a bit extreme, but I don't see a problem with Barney leading a group of rebels to that safe house in episode 1, or Mossman sneaking past the combine to get to the Borealis. It would certainly make for some interesting, and I'm sure fun scenarios. Or perhaps a scenario where DOG is a hero unit, and you must protect White Forest before Alyx and Freeman arrive? It seemed as though a battle had been occurring before Freeman and Alyx arrived, the evidence being the dead gunship, the strider, and the mention that the Combine were unable to make it up the hillside.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:32 am

Urgh, in all honestly if hero units are made available in multiplayer, they should be optional, and you should only be able to build one (1) period per match.

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:35 pm

The devs have agreed not to have special characters like Freeman or Alyx. Case closed there!
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Terminus Prime

Post by Terminus Prime » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:40 pm

Woot.

jimjim

Post by jimjim » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:49 am

Python doesn't prevent them from stopping me form implementing my own versions of special characters.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:39 pm

jimjim wrote:Python doesn't prevent them from stopping me form implementing my own versions of special characters.
...Your point being?

Why would you make a thread about this all if you're just going to implement them into your map(s) anyway?

Besides this, anyway, I'd like to make a mention in regards to using Valve's named characters:
Don't put things in their mouths.

See, what I mean is, no one likes having things happening that were never supposed to happen in the first place. Gordon Freeman on the South Pole for one.

While Gordon Freeman can move "freely" (as G-man can pull him in and out of stasis to and from any location he likes, it would seem), we should not abuse this concept. Nor should we use anything else.

The only scenario in which we should ever use these "heroes" like Freeman would be in extremely accurate reconstructions of actual events in the storyline.
Image Image