Rebel Tank Disscussion

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
BiotecVirus
Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rebel Tank Disscussion

Post by BiotecVirus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Terminus Prime wrote:
Look at a bus. Where are you going to put a turret on it without making it unstable to turn at high speeds. A bus would be for large artillary pieces if you cut the top open and remove the seats, even though you need to take it slow.
I'm not suggesting they make a bus into a literal, turreted tank. I'm suggesting they fortify it, and turn the thing into a mobile bunker/APC. Its firepower is proportional to the # of Rebels garrisoned inside.
Take something like the transmission from a powerful, compat vehicle, modify the wheels to either heavy duty tires or traks (somehow), then boost the torque. Take a basic chassis, weld on lots of armor (steel and aluminum plates), then modify the top for a turret (which runs on basic hydraulic/pneumatic systems). The thing doesnt have to make perfect sense, but anyone with some understanding of mechanics and simple machines could build it in theory, so a mechanic and an engineer (or something to that effect) could theoreticly build a basic tank, given some time and materials.
Honestly, is fashioning a jury-rigged tank (which would be unreliable at best) from civilian chassis' really a wise use of Rebel time and resources, when they could refurbish many more vehicles in the same time without radically altering them? Especially given the indisputable superiority of Combine armour?
Bus this is good but i also really like the attirlary idea for it.
Combine armor i would say is rather crap when 2 rpg missles can down a combine apc/car
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

madaimer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by madaimer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31 am

Haven't posted in a long while but wouldn't it be a good idea to have the rebel tank be a captured and converted combine APC. Think of the Combine APC with thick sheets of reused metal bolted onto it, repainted to another colour maybe and as for the main gun, change it from the current MG/Cannon to say an improvised missile system based of the RPG, im thinking 2 RPGs side by side on a rotating metal frame?

Edit, im sure I had more than 2 posts when I joined up...
The Cake is a Lie!

Bobdeco

Post by Bobdeco » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:19 pm

I have no idea if any1 said something like this idea before, but noway i'm i surfing those 9 pages of replies xD
Every1 seems to want a tank, but the best evidence, at least in game so far, which i think would be "easy" to get to work would be something like the buggy or the jalopy because if it was possible u could make it so, wherever it is produced it comes out with no crew, and u fill it with crew. say 2 so 1 fires a turret like the buggys tau cannon and 1 drives and such, tell what u think of the idea and see if u can improve it :D

Madcombat

Post by Madcombat » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Well im sure the resistance would be cought makeing Tanks and shit, so maby they use Combine tech to take down Combine what im thinking of is some sort of Jeep with an rocket launcher on the back that fires a bit fast to take down Striders, Tanks would be too slow for the Resistance, resistance need a fast light jeep to take down combine and avoid being hit by the striders Cannon. Makes sence no?

Bobdeco

Post by Bobdeco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:55 pm

yeah I think madcats right, something fast, a stripped down jeep or osmething like the jalopy with a wep attached and crew, espec when vehicle support is enabled, also people were argueing about the resistence being able to be mechanics and design tanks, the scientists could do something if they had the resources, i mean Eli made DOG and other examples so i'm sure a vehicle would work for them, mechinics, well theres enough abandoned cars for the rebels to learn from, taking them apart and putting them together, and considering that so far the latest HL2 is set from HL1 (which is like in 200X) is baout 20 years, and it also fits in with alyx being like 5 then and 25ish now, so I'm sure loads of mechanics and such nd whatever else would be needed would have survived

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Jeep = light assault vechical good idea but not a tank nethier the less.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

Bobdeco

Post by Bobdeco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:32 pm

thats it tho, what says the rebels need a tank, the combine don't tecnically have 1 either, they have the apc and other things to take the place of tanks like synths.
Also I saw a topic somewhere about balancing units and such and i thought that maybe instead of everything having an equal counter-part, partly cos a rebel strider would be retarded :P, and that the rebels are at such a devastating disadvantage in some things, it would be better to have things that can trounce a unit but then be trounced by something else, well aslong as they are used well, so rockets or some sort of magnusson device launcher against striders, and something like teh jalopy for removing hunters say

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:49 pm

Building a magnisum device laucher onto a lightly armed tank may be a possibility as it would be a awsome weapon vs the striders. As i do see us (in the future) making more combine units as well, there may be a combine tank synth style unit.

Bobdeco

Post by Bobdeco » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Along the synth idea i would love to see the Combine super soldier synth/soldier thing
http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Combine_Super_Soldier
as I can't remember where i read it, but it makes senses if u played ep2 :D, the hunters are good for outside areas, white forest etc, they can run free and smash the S@*% outta things and generally cause trouble, well with the Combine SS I just have this image of it being in an urbany area and busting into rooms head first firing whatever it fires and generally killing rebels, and also good for ambushes where they bust outta a wall doing what they do :D, and considering how buildings can work in the mod, floors and such, i can imagine a way of making a wall that can be destroyerd by explosives or being hit at speed by something like the super soldier

aromis

Post by aromis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:30 pm

i can not see the rebels using conventional tanks,

i can see them steal old tanks from the usa's mass storage of old warfare vehicles etc or taking one from a museium and fabricating a new design based on it

but i think whatever they come up with will not be like any tank most of us would think of, as tanks are

they would have to be fast, and manourable, since no matter how heavily armoured, they can not take one of those high energy blasts from a strider one blast from one of those takes out anything

also tanks tend to be very noticable, so again i would not think they would use them and the various Tyrian in hl2 world is not suited for tanks, hence why the combine use striders who can go on any Tyrian except the sea

so the tank would have to be fast, small, very manourvable and have a practical use and be able to go over the tyrian almost as good as a stryder

like you said it would have to be made from scrap materials, so that can mean whatever scrap we have seen the rebels use in scrap vehicles in the past, and whatever bits they will take from previous vehicles, we have seen the enemy use

i have a image in my head of a tank that is part car, adapted onto a metal frame, that turns it into a 8 wheeled assault buggy car that is fast and manouvable and has a mounted ar2 on front and either a sniper mount on the back ,a mounted gun from one of the combine attack copters or even dual rocket launchers

ixidron

Post by ixidron » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:32 pm

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm

That would be classed as stealing. And the models would need (especially the sherman) a full remodel.

ixidron

Post by ixidron » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:54 pm

For creating mods we can use all models, materials, npcs... for valve games, mods and their addons, just adding the the credits.
I think that valve said that but I'm no sure.
I saw some mods that took somethings from this page.

Vaun

Post by Vaun » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:53 pm

Both of those are models from source itself (the Sherman is from DoD i think) so theyd be legal to use. Although i do agree, the sherman needs to be made to look like its made from scrap metal (aluminum/steel plates, salvaged combine armor, etc).
In war, theres always one who is not dedicated to one side, but against all.
He is the Angel of Death...

ixidron

Post by ixidron » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:37 am

yep, you have to modify it a bit if you want to use it, and i say you (plural) because I'm the worst person in the planet in the use of hammer. :mrgreen: