Rebel Tank Disscussion

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
BiotecVirus
Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rebel Tank Disscussion

Post by BiotecVirus » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 pm

I have seen people saying things about tanks for a while now And i would like them in game but...we need somthing which has the following things...

-Not to big and powerful
-Easialy made from current resources which would be mainly scrap
-A weapon/s which have plently of ammo
-Easy to operate by any crew
-Not to complex to acually model and programme
+Any others you may want to add post em and ill add em.

I think we should ethier put forward a tank suggestion each or just say "i dont want tanks" so we can all get a picture on what we are all thinking but for now ill get the ball rolling.

I feel it should be a American Sherman and before you say "wtf? a ww2 tank you got 2 be joking!" I aint cos think about it. Back in 1939/1945 with their current technology they managed to make over 100 a DAY! they were exstreamly simple to make and adapt to whatever the use for them was from a battle tank to a bulldoser the same tank chassis was used which solves the creation problem and you dont have to make everything out of steel/cast iron.
They had many versions which used diffrent weaponary so to find a weapon with plently of ammo would be fine.
Probboly the most simple tank to ever use and still stand that till this day.
Its a quite lightly armed tank so it wont be overpowerfull.
And bacause its a rather small it wont be hard to model/programme/animate/script.

Sherman Possible In-Game stats.
-Slow but muti terrain
-Made out of just about everything
-Armed with 1 Cannon type of weapon which ethier fires continusaly or has the ability to be used every 10 seconds with a small cost in abilitys bar depending on balence issues.
-Also armed with 1 or 2 guns of any description, this could be a AK47 kind of weapon or a combine Smg.
-Main strength in a hard assault with quite sustainable firepower on the move + thickest part of amorer
-Main weakness in the rear where it takes the turret 4 seconds to aim fully backwards.

And here is some pictures which I took of one in France as I went to see the "Battle of normady museum"
Last edited by BiotecVirus on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

Bigredone
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rebel Tank Disscussion

Post by Bigredone » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:04 pm

I agree with you. One vote for the rebel tank

aceacs123

Post by aceacs123 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:58 pm

Like the sherman idea but I don't think that they'd do well aginst combine bigger than the hunnter and even then I think a group of 2 or more hunters would kill it and hunters move in packs but maybe throw a m-device launcher on it and call it a new unit
"And if you see Dr.Breen, tell him I said FU--*CRASH*--OU" ,-Barney

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:04 pm

I just thought I'd drop in and say that any Resistance-produced Shermans may look very differently from original WW2 ones.

Ever seen this one commercial where they ask, "Why's a parking meter have to look like a parking meter?"
Unless they get engineers and such that really know how the Sherman works till its core, and how to build one from the very ground, the tanks will most likely have relatively random looks that may deviate between minor differences to complete overhauls, mainly due to them getting more or less the same idea as OP, but being unaware of just how to properly reproduce them--which can bring interesting products into light.
Image Image

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:59 am

aceacs123 wrote:Like the sherman idea but I don't think that they'd do well aginst combine bigger than the hunnter and even then I think a group of 2 or more hunters would kill it and hunters move in packs but maybe throw a m-device launcher on it and call it a new unit
New unit name would be fine but im trying to get a general base idea on the board if u get what i mean also, i doubt hunters will have much affect agiast a sherman, their flechiets have 0 effect on non bio organisums and their close range attack would only scratch the amoror the only thing it would be really need to be afraid of is...
-Combine tank
-Strider cannon shot
-(if incorpoated ingame) Combine helicopters
-Combine Rpg?
-Combine sabature?
-etc
Drunkenvalley wrote:I just thought I'd drop in and say that any Resistance-produced Shermans may look very differently from original WW2 ones.

Ever seen this one commercial where they ask, "Why's a parking meter have to look like a parking meter?"
Unless they get engineers and such that really know how the Sherman works till its core, and how to build one from the very ground, the tanks will most likely have relatively random looks that may deviate between minor differences to complete overhauls, mainly due to them getting more or less the same idea as OP, but being unaware of just how to properly reproduce them--which can bring interesting products into light.
Agreed they will look diffrent as they will have different weapons and made out of random materials but im just suggesting a basic structure of a tank.
Again engerneeirs dont need a brilliant idea on how to make them and they are exstreamly simple to build/maintain and yes their first attepmt may not work but their following ones will be a hard earned reward for the rebels.
It will bring in many varients as I said it can be used in many roles and will reduce programming if one tank chassci is used for the majoirty of them.
"There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't."
"The Imperial Guard doesn't dig the enemy out of fortifications. It blasts them out, then occupies the craters." ~Sonsoftauras

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:35 am

BiotecVirus wrote:Agreed they will look diffrent as they will have different weapons and made out of random materials but im just suggesting a basic structure of a tank.
I'm just trying to make sure that any other readers aren't as deluded as to think the Resistance's going to be driving a totally classic-looking Sherman. :P
Though I figure that if they haven't read your post through they won't read mine either, so wtf rite?
Image Image

danm36

Post by danm36 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:31 am

Can't we stick some wheels onto the existing human APC model and give it similar AI to the combine APC?

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Drunkenvalley wrote:
BiotecVirus wrote:Agreed they will look diffrent as they will have different weapons and made out of random materials but im just suggesting a basic structure of a tank.
I'm just trying to make sure that any other readers aren't as deluded as to think the Resistance's going to be driving a totally classic-looking Sherman. :P
Though I figure that if they haven't read your post through they won't read mine either, so wtf rite?
Yea hopefully lol
danm36 wrote:Can't we stick some wheels onto the existing human APC model and give it similar AI to the combine APC?
The Combine APC has AI??? its just a model which uses a func_track in maps it has just about 0% AI. Also that would be a APC not a Tank. APC's would come under a diffrent catagory but possibly using the shermans hull but a removed turret and giving a higher profile to fit troops in it will work fine as a APC.

Plazmatic

Post by Plazmatic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:27 pm

a sherman would not work a tank yes but sherman no it would be a six weeled vhecle or more maby less (its unlikley you would find the tracktion linking for weels you usually see for tank weels) it would use the normal house plating you see often and steel plating in the half life universe, use car doors for doors, use multiple moters, use some makeshift gun for the tank barrel and would have to use rechargeable energy rounds because it would be unrealistic for it to have infinate matter ammo

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Plazmatic wrote:a sherman would not work a tank yes but sherman no it would be a six weeled vhecle or more maby less (its unlikley you would find the tracktion linking for weels you usually see for tank weels) it would use the normal house plating you see often and steel plating in the half life universe, use car doors for doors, use multiple moters, use some makeshift gun for the tank barrel and would have to use rechargeable energy rounds because it would be unrealistic for it to have infinate matter ammo
Geez.

You fail at realizing what we're actually talking about here, don't you? *sigh*
We just said in most of our posts that while it's BASED on the sherman it will most likely look pretty darn different from actual shermans.
Image Image

BiotecVirus
Contributor

Post by BiotecVirus » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:59 pm

Plazmatic wrote:a sherman would not work a tank yes but sherman no it would be a six weeled vhecle or more maby less (its unlikley you would find the tracktion linking for weels you usually see for tank weels) it would use the normal house plating you see often and steel plating in the half life universe, use car doors for doors, use multiple moters, use some makeshift gun for the tank barrel and would have to use rechargeable energy rounds because it would be unrealistic for it to have infinate matter ammo
Do we have to make the tracking system from scratch? no you can make that from anything wheel rims, cut down and cemetnt filled barrels just about anything will work. Does it have to be acually mounted on tracks? it dosent have to with abit of gearing know how. Making the thing is easy as you can make anythign with abit of adapting, Also it can have any weapon from a custom bodged cannon to a lazer cannon.

Drunkenvalley

Post by Drunkenvalley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:50 pm

Technically, it doesn't even need a cannon. Again, the Resistance will work with anything that does the job.
Image Image

CaptianJoel

Post by CaptianJoel » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:39 pm

I'm new to the forum, but I have a slightly more improved idea. My father is a war veteran ('Nam, 82nd Airborne), and has a large collection of books on various weapons including tanks, guns, trucks, ect. Anyways, I was watching a show on the military channel called Top Tanks and saw a beauty: the Russian T-34, a fast tank developed for WWII by the Soviets.

Here's the good part: It fits into the HL universe almost perfectly. They are obviously in Russia (or some Iron Curtain country), and so there would be leftover tanks around the country (Museums, old depots,...). They can easily be salvaged and repaired!

Good facts about the tank:
-It's fast, with the T-34 going at 34 miles per hour (if Wikipedia is to be trusted).
-It can be mass produced in short time, with the Russkies shoving out over 1300 a month.
-Can easily be repaired if damaged and/or customizable.

But for every pat on the head is a kick to the nads:
-Requires 76 millimeter rounds, an oddity in the post-apoc universe of Half-Life
-Easily damaged and destroyed by shots from the sides or back.
-Engine wasn't most powerful.

Anyways, that's my idea about the Resistance tank. Just throwing it out there for you.

Video about Tank
Wiki Article

Edit: Sorry, forgot pictures!

^Ye Olden Airdrop

scrub

Post by scrub » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:03 am

Didn't the Russians just dominate the battlefield with those by Xtremely mass producing them and just overran the German army?

CaptianJoel

Post by CaptianJoel » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:55 am

scrub wrote:Didn't the Russians just dominate the battlefield with those by Xtremely mass producing them and just overran the German army?
Yep. They were the pioneers of the modern prop spam.

Of course, since it has been a long time since WWII, the Rebs would have trouble finding the blueprints and would have to make due with what they got.

Again, just throwing it out as an suggestion.