Disbanding troops and moving/destroying your own buildings

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
KAHEBLEH
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Disbanding troops and moving/destroying your own buildings

Post by KAHEBLEH » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:58 am

Surely, everyone here has thought about this at least once; Maybe you misclicked, or maybe you had second thoughts after you created your soldier or built the building. Or maybe you just did it all in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I know I sure have had these thoughts: Why can't I disband my soldier, move my buildings, or destroy them? Or maybe: "Damnit, why did I do that?! I didn't mean to!"

Well, I'm here to propose that you should be able to do just that:

--As far as soldiers or other combat entities go, you should be able to despawn/disband them and get refunded 50% of the resources it originally took to make them. This also helps to free up population slots for more important things. Especially both early on and much later on in the match where perhaps you don't need as many stalkers taking up those precious, precious population spaces for the combine after you've quickly built everything you need to get you off on the right foot, or that you actually don't need 40 combine soldiers, or rebels. Or WHATEVER you're using to fight.

--For buildings, by paying a small fee you can move them (10% of the cost it took to make it), and if you want to destroy them, you will be refunded 20% of the resources you expedited to make it. This will let you optimize and refine the layout of your base if need be, allowing you to reeeeaaaaaallllllyyyy squeeze the buildings tight together if you have to. Or maybe in order to keep track of your base much easier and improve its survivability through condensing buildings together. Or maybe you want to make room for something new or more important

Anyways, let me know what you think of this suggestion... it's just a suggestion. Honest criticism would be appreciated.

rui_troia
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Disbanding troops and moving/destroying your own buildin

Post by rui_troia » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:07 pm

this is actually a good suggestion, i would just recommend the values that were suggested to be a little different

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:14 pm

I'd start deleting units that were about to be killed and moving my base to the other side of the map if I felt the enemy's pushing were to be successful. I don't think deletion should refund resources
My avatar was created by Deviantart user sHuRaLeVa and is titled "Winter Godot"
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197965494126]Image[/url]

PCreeper1

Post by PCreeper1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Mustang wrote:I'd start deleting units that were about to be killed and moving my base to the other side of the map if I felt the enemy's pushing were to be successful. I don't think deletion should refund resources
Or you could have it so if the unit takes too much damage (or damage at all) it won't give resources until its fully healed
Youtube creator, twitter ranter, i actually somehow made the developers add something to not make me forget about flags...
STEAM: http://steamcommunity.com/id/88777887777888/

pandango
Developer

Post by pandango » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:58 pm

I think it takes away a part of the risk of building a unit.

KAHEBLEH

Post by KAHEBLEH » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:26 pm

Mustang wrote:I'd start deleting units that were about to be killed and moving my base to the other side of the map if I felt the enemy's pushing were to be successful. I don't think deletion should refund resources
If the enemy's pushing were to be successful, and depending on map size and base size, you could spend a lot of time and resources to get away, and maybe not even fully evacuate. Although, obviously if you moved your entire base, it should be highlighted on the map where it ends up to balance things out, at least a bit.

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:53 am

pandango wrote:I think it takes away a part of the risk of building a unit.
I believe that if the player is not refunded any resources for deleting the unit, then they are still punished sufficiently for taking the risk and losing. They're also missing out on all the time it took to produce that unit and all the time it will take to replace it.

KAHEBLEH

Post by KAHEBLEH » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:21 am

Mustang wrote:
I believe that if the player is not refunded any resources for deleting the unit, then they are still punished sufficiently for taking the risk and losing. They're also missing out on all the time it took to produce that unit and all the time it will take to replace it.
Maybe 20% refund at the very least. Not getting at least 1/5 of your resources returned upon deleting something like a strider could very well mean death. After all, if your victory or defeat rides on a single thing that you have to delete because of second thoughts or you made a genuine mistake of misclicking without realizing, then you are royally boned. In any kind of game, there should be some wiggle room for error or else it becomes repetitive and aggravating when you need to have pinpoint precision like some robot. That leads into meta-strategy, where: "This strategy is the best strategy and if you do anything else you're stupid and going to lose" kind of thing, and I would hate to see such a lovely RTS like this come to that.

Mustang

Post by Mustang » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:37 pm

KAHEBLEH wrote:
Mustang wrote:
Maybe 20% refund at the very least. Not getting at least 1/5 of your resources returned upon deleting something like a strider could very well mean death. After all, if your victory or defeat rides on a single thing that you have to delete because of second thoughts or you made a genuine mistake of misclicking without realizing, then you are royally boned. In any kind of game, there should be some wiggle room for error or else it becomes repetitive and aggravating when you need to have pinpoint precision like some robot. That leads into meta-strategy, where: "This strategy is the best strategy and if you do anything else you're stupid and going to lose" kind of thing, and I would hate to see such a lovely RTS like this come to that.
If you manage to fully train a strider after misclicling it I think it's a suitable punishment. How often do you really accidentally train the wrong thing?