Combine Mortar and flying objects

If you have any suggestions or ideas about what you'd like to see in a future version of Lambda Wars, tell us about it here.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mr. Darkness
Developer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Combine Mortar and flying objects

Post by Mr. Darkness » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm

I remembered something.
Combine Mortar.
If you remember the part in the fight for City 17, where you reached a huge museum-looking building, on top of it's roof there was a Combine Mortar that you had turn off via shotting off energy balls from the thing that held them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZotpNbQNkY

^This.
I am learning particle editor now and it seems quite fun and not hard to learn. I already managed to make a few particles that look like this mortar effect :D

As for the ballance: Since the Rebel explosive barrel tower uses some scrap to shoot those barrels, perhaps combine mortar would use only Energy (but in huge amounts) to shoot the charges? The thing should also deal at least 100 damage to all units and have a bit increased cooldown. It should also NOT have a big enough range to reach another base.

Next,
As you probably know, Strider is a flying entity (which means it does not walk), I was thinking, maybe you could make npc_helicopter, npc_gunship and npc_dropship flying entities as well (so they work without path_corners)? If those are included then we probably need something what can counter those. Lets think: rebels managed to create a jeep which has this laser attachment. And it seems they made it at quite a small factory there (which was surrounded by combines). Another thing we saw is an airboat with the helicopter machine gun attachment. I know these were already suggested but my idea is perhaps you could make an upgrade building (just like Armory) but for vehicles?
Mr. Darkness: fucking game
Sandern: yeah, game sucks
Mr. Darkness: ya, the devs must be some total twats
Mr. Darkness: Who even names a game like that
Mr. Darkness: "Lambda Wars"
Mr. Darkness: fucking pathetic
Mr. Darkness: right?
Sandern: yes

sants1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Combine Mortar and flying objects

Post by sants1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:19 pm

I think if something like this were to be added, the canisters would definitely have to be nerfed. Both of these combined would destroy the rebels.

rui_troia

Post by rui_troia » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:00 pm

make this a close-range defensive mortar who would do insanely ammounts of damage, and the position of the shot would be highlighted before the shell would explode

sants1

Post by sants1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:05 pm

rui_troia wrote:make this a close-range defensive mortar who would do insanely ammounts of damage, and the position of the shot would be highlighted before the shell would explode
That could work, although it diminishes the meaning of a mortar. But still, I like this idea.

Mr. Darkness
Developer

Post by Mr. Darkness » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Alright, so I've worked on the particle system and right now I got this:
All what's left to add is a beam that goes down to the land spot. :)

@sants1, as I suggested, the combine mortar needs to be close range (perhaps by half further than the explosive barrel tower) and should eat up a lot of energy due to deadly damage.
But the fact that it shows the landing spot already is a nerf.

EDIT: Added a beam

sants1

Post by sants1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:25 pm

Okay, sounds good. Hope to see this sometime in the future.

Mr. Darkness
Developer

Post by Mr. Darkness » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:55 am

I have finished the particle and made a (temporary) sound file for it.
I will upload both in a zip file (particle_mainfest included, just copy the line "file" "particles/particle_mortar.pcf" to your main particle mainfest).
I cannot make a video yet since I am lacking a screen recorder like Fraps or Bandicam which I may obtain later.
Here is the file, it includes the sound and the particle .pcf with particle manifest: http://bbq.to/Mortar_effects_fefe.zip

The effect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7odfHQ ... q0te4x5x3w
First you see the white particles go up from the ground
Next you see the splash on the ground appear turning slowly in Z-axis
Following you see the beam appearing, increasing size and changing color as it charges
When the beam reaches the maximum size while turning orange, 2 more sprites appear on the bottom causing the attack effect. One of the particles rotates in Z-axis.
Lastly, everything vanishes, leaving the white particles disappear with the splash on the ground.
(old)

If you are curious how it looks in the game do the following.
1. Create a map with info_player_start, info_particle_system, the ambient_generic, add anything else you want for playing the effect;
2. Compile the map in expert (copy default option and make a new one so you don't lose the default settings), edit properties removing -alldetail and -radius_override 2500 (for faster compile and better performance), remove the $game_exe line completely.
3. Get into the game, open console, type in: sv_lan 1 so you can play the game without Steam authentication errors.
4. Type in "map your_map_name", and do the stuff to get into the game (you will be in a lobby).
5. The particle won't spawn if you created the particle system without any outputs to it and the sound. As I suggested earlier, you could create a logic_relay to make the particle system spawn together with the sound to it. If you want to see the particle only, do the following in the console:

bind "p" "ent_fire particle_system stop; wait 120; ent_fire particle_system start"

Press P to spawn the particle system.

Hope you like it :D

EDIT: There are two models: models/props_combine/combine_mortar01a.mdl and combine_mortar01b.mdl. Mortar01a is the mortar itself while Mortar01b seems to be it's 'legs'.
EDIT 2: added the mortar base particle (so there is an effect when the mortar shoots); the new particle includes 5 sounds that could be used as random so the shoot sound doesn't sound the same all the time!

Captain Snyder

Post by Captain Snyder » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Shouldn't the headcrabs canister be hostile to everybody? I mean, headcrabs don't exactly favor one side or the other.

I think the biggest nerfing point would that. Make the headcrab canisters deploy enemies that target the Combine & Rebels.

Edited by Mr. Darkness: Wrong thread?