Money Issues

Off-topic stuff here, anything not related to Lambda Wars.
fighter84

Money Issues

Post by fighter84 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 pm

hey guys um im trying to buy parts for my new gam,ing rig pc, im 11 years old and i dont have that much money,i asked my mom to get it for me but she cant afford it with all the bills(parents divorced) so can u guys liek help me out here?what can an 11 year old do to get 1121 dollars?

which in europe is about 850 euros
FIGHTER*84

Half-Life 2 Revolution Official Site:
www.halflife2revolution.webs.com

SkedarE
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Money Issues

Post by SkedarE » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:49 am

Could a part-time job on a time when you,re not doing anything, help? Might take a long time though. You could also try for pocket money from your mother in reasonable small amounts, like $1-$5 for every weekend. You might have the trouble of not remembering to collect such a small amount over a long period of time like I did. You could do extra work around the house to 'up' this money allowance. Asking for only money at birthdays and Christmas always helps, if your family supports that religion(Christianity). Doing all these things at once could make the time in between you saving and you getting that computer fly by. You might also want to consider buying individual parts(graphics card or monitor) to make the cost cheaper but if you do, get professionals to install them or get professional advise before install them yourself to avoid losing a couple of thousand dollars worth of computer. The cost of your computer, or components, will go down really quickly and it will probably not be the same price you saved up for by the time you acquire the money.
Check this deal: My brother bought a 24inch screen with reasonable separate speakers with 1GB of Ram and 300GB of space on the hardrive DELL computer for something like $2000 to $3000 dollars(AUS). One or Two years later he had left the house and already had many other computers. He was thinking of selling it to my other brother or to the second hand computer shop or something. I bought it off him for $500AUS. By then it had 600GB of space and many movies/television shows and many many music files(25000). What a deal!
It's ok. You're not a bad person. Horses are bad people.

Discrate
Contributor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Discrate » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:54 am

Hey fighter,

post your gaming rig specs and ill tellyou what could be improved.

SkedarE 2000 - 3000 for a brand new computer is a rip off.

I built my computer for 699 dollars. It has amd dual core processor 5 ghz all together.

i have 4gb of ram

350gb hardrive

8600gt gfx card overclocked.

windows vista ultimate.

MiniMacker

Post by MiniMacker » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:00 am

More paragraphing for SkedarE and less spaces for Discrate.

And I'd say do some general jobs, might seem useless like mowing the neighbours lawn or so. You can basically say it's a bit geeky, but do it for the money, boy. After a while you'll have enough. Plus you'll have the best looking neighbourhood in the... Uh, hood.

Discrate
Contributor

Post by Discrate » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:15 am

MiniMacker wrote:More paragraphing for SkedarE and less spaces for Discrate.

And I'd say do some general jobs, might seem useless like mowing the neighbours lawn or so. You can basically say it's a bit geeky, but do it for the money, boy. After a while you'll have enough. Plus you'll have the best looking neighbourhood in the... Uh, hood.
sorry officer, wont happen again :P

Why does he need more money ? he says he has 1121 dollars? thats plenty. See your option is to go to a retail store and buy a computer but there out to make large profits from things, so if they buy a comp for 1000 theyll sell it for 3000, get what i mean. Your better off buying the parts and putting them inyour self, it isnt hard. My computer to buy in a shop would be like 2000 dollars.

1121 dollars is more then enough to buy good parts for your computer. but like i said please post your comp specs and ill advise you of what to get.

fighter84

Post by fighter84 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:01 pm

no dudue i said the total is 1211 dollars i need ot make that also here are the specs.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor with HDCP support - Retail

SAPPHIRE 100243-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W ATX 12V( V.2.2) SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

im am telling u that will be a kcik ass comp.
FIGHTER*84

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:45 pm

As for the computer my brother bought, it was actually somewhere no higher than $1200 Australian(lot cheaper than US at that time). It was new for it's time as well so he had a bargain at that time. I am in Australia, so things, I think, are generally more expensive than the US. And sorry Minimacker for the unparagraphed mess I just typed the other day.

Also, if you are saving for $1211, then I'd screw that and save to $1600 and get a f**k off mega computer that 6 months ago was $3000. You could get a gaming computer that if you bought all the current games and games soon to come and played them on you computer, then your computer would never lag again, even when having a huge amount of RAM taken up by a vista moving and animated desktop and several other programs in the background.

My friend has this computer and was playing, on full graphics with mods to make the graphics a lot better, crisis while his background has some hugely RAM taking-up frog near a pond animation. He also had several chat rooms, web pages, virus scanners and other programs running. When he minimised Crisis, nothing lagged even a bit. You can't tell me that you wouldn't like a computer like that, unless you have one better(unlikely).

Discrate
Contributor

Post by Discrate » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 am

SkedarE wrote:As for the computer my brother bought, it was actually somewhere no higher than $1200 Australian(lot cheaper than US at that time). It was new for it's time as well so he had a bargain at that time. I am in Australia, so things, I think, are generally more expensive than the US. And sorry Minimacker for the unparagraphed mess I just typed the other day.

Also, if you are saving for $1211, then I'd screw that and save to $1600 and get a f**k off mega computer that 6 months ago was $3000. You could get a gaming computer that if you bought all the current games and games soon to come and played them on you computer, then your computer would never lag again, even when having a huge amount of RAM taken up by a vista moving and animated desktop and several other programs in the background.

My friend has this computer and was playing, on full graphics with mods to make the graphics a lot better, crisis while his background has some hugely RAM taking-up frog near a pond animation. He also had several chat rooms, web pages, virus scanners and other programs running. When he minimised Crisis, nothing lagged even a bit. You can't tell me that you wouldn't like a computer like that, unless you have one better(unlikely).

or just build a comp yourself and save 1000's of dollars, its easy.

in those comp specs fighter you didnt say what graphics card it has. :P

The main thing you need if you want you computer to be a gaming computer is 4gb of ram, a dual core at the least quad would be excellent and a good graphics card. I would recommend to you gettting the nvidia geforce 9800. That will give you the best game experince you could possibly have. Plus the comp specs you showed me, the motherboard is PCI-E 2.0 enabled which the 9800 requires.
Dual core or a quad core is needed because most games these days are really cpu hoggers. I only have a dual core but im going up to a quad core.

fighter84

Post by fighter84 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:39 pm

discrate double check i got a sapphire rdeon 4870 video card,the 9800 is terirble, sapphire radeon beats the living hell out of it
its one of the best and cheapest cards there is
FIGHTER*84

HellSpawn

Post by HellSpawn » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:52 am

fighter84 wrote: sapphire radeon

cheapest
you'll regret buying a cheap card.
Sander wrote:hurrah.
Half-Life 2: Wars Wiki TODO List - Stuff that needs doing on the wiki, we'd appreciate the help.

Discrate
Contributor

Post by Discrate » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:08 am

HellSpawn wrote:

cheapest
exactly, nvidia geforce cards are the best. Put it with a nforce motherboard and bam your comp owns. Alos if you got a SLI enabled mother board get two of them put in :P

SkedarE

Post by SkedarE » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:07 pm

You want an effing good graphics card with alot of RAM so games don't run slow like a b*tch.

Sandern
Developer

Post by Sandern » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:10 am

Discrate wrote:
HellSpawn wrote:

cheapest
exactly, nvidia geforce cards are the best. Put it with a nforce motherboard and bam your comp owns. Alos if you got a SLI enabled mother board get two of them put in :P
I wouldn't listen to Discrate if he says things like "nvidia is the best"...

Ennui
Contributor

Post by Ennui » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:32 am

I don't know about that, I've had NVIDIA for the last 3 generations of cards and all of them (5200FX, 6600GT, 7800GS) have served me well.

Discrate
Contributor

Post by Discrate » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:55 am

Ennui wrote:I don't know about that, I've had NVIDIA for the last 3 generations of cards and all of them (5200FX, 6600GT, 7800GS) have served me well.
Agreed ennui. Sander, Nvidia are the leaders in graphics cards they are the bomb, especially with there new 9000 series and there new 200 series.